Skip to main content

Summer Training Begins


On Saturday, I did my longest post-half marathon run. I broke up my run a bit. I ran from my house to ParkRun, and then from ParkRun back home. That was a total of 15km.  It was threatening to rain but just ended up being humid. I really struggled in the heat a few times during my run. I think my body is still not used to the summer temperatures, as I did most of my training in the winter.

After I ran the 15km I decided it was time to start training again for another half marathon. I'd told myself that I would start training again in mid-June but now felt like a better time to start.

In September, I will be running the half marathon distance at the Lethbridge Police Run. Last year I did the 10km race at this event, and I wanted to bump it up to the half marathon this time.  

I was hesitant to sign up for another half marathon this year. My original plan was to take it easy during the summer and train for 10km. I had already run two half marathons since I had run the equivalent distance during my training in the spring.

I want to push myself and see what I'm capable of. I will not have as much training time as I did for the Calgary Marathon. However, I know I've done it before and can train up to that distance again.









I will have to modify the times of my long runs a couple times this summer. The first is when my mom comes to visit in July. We will likely go for a hike in Waterton National Park on that weekend. My plan currently is to try to get my long-distance runs done prior to her arrival.


 
















The second time will be at the end of August when I go to Edmonton to camp with my family. There is a running trail near the campground, so I will wake up early and do a run before everyone else wakes up. If I need more distance, I can get it in prior to the trip. 

I love summer, don’t get me wrong, but I dread running when it's too hot outside. I love running early in the morning, as it's cooler out. I will most likely be incorporating more morning runs during this training cycle. It's important to acclimatize your body to the heat, so I will incorporate evening runs as well. When I first started my running journey, I always ran in the afternoons. But now I try to run more mornings as they are much more comfortable. 

I plan to incorporate a few days of strength training during the week this time around. I didn't do very much strength training for the Calgary Marathon. However, I've come to realize that strength training is beneficial for running and needs to be incorporated into my routine.

I would also like to incorporate some biking into my training regimen. I love the summer and want to get outside and try other exercises.










Lethbridge has a lot of paths for trail running, however, I have not attempted that very much. During this training cycle, I want to try and add in some trail running for variety. I'll have to be extra cautious, as there are many hazards around here like snakes and loose gravel. But I would like to explore more areas of Lethbridge with our amazing running community.








One issue I've had with training is eating properly. I did try during my last training cycle, but nobody is perfect. I know that carbohydrates are essential to help fuel your run, but there are healthy ways to incorporate them into your diet. I have recently increased my vegetable intake and changed the order in which I eat my food. I'm not cutting anything out, but I am limiting my sugar intake within reason. 

I still have meals with my family and even have pizza and iced cream. This time around I am not tracking my food. I've been trying a different method for about two weeks and it feels freeing. I may go back to tracking my food at some point, but for now, I am experimenting to see what works for me. In the two weeks since I switched how I eat, vis a vis eating order and vegetable portions, I have felt healthier than I have in a while. I do believe that most of the improvement I feel is from consuming less sugar.

There is much to consider, but I am excited to be back to training for another half marathon. I do not have specific goals, but if I could reach the 2:45-3:00 finish range that would be great. I finished the Calgary Marathon at 3:18 (according to my watch). I know summer is a busy time, but I am determined to keep my training momentum and enjoy the ride.


 





Comments

  1. Amazing post! I haven't ever ran a marathon but now I feel I should try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. It's definitely been a journey to get to where I am today, but I do believe anyone can be a runner. If you take that first step you never know where it will take you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome. I've never run a marathon or did anything like that so kudos to you. I'm also happy you've switched up the way you eat. I have done it too and it's made a huge difference in my life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

8 Tips for Mental Self-Care

Have you ever felt like your mind is going a mile a minute? Or do you get those scattered-brained moments?  Being a mom of two, working part-time, and actively training for a half marathon I often find my mind is cluttered and constantly distracted. Did I pack my daughter's lunch for school? What time is that meeting at work? How long is that long run on Saturday?  All of these kinds of questions are constantly running through my mind. But what should I do to settle my mind?  I've realized since my Bipolar diagnosis three years ago that I have a few tools which play a big part in calming my mind. Some of these tools might be beneficial for you too. Brain Dump Page The first tool I use is a brain dump page. This comes in a few forms for me.  Sometimes I use an app called  Daylio . At the end of the day, I write out all the thoughts that are going through my head. That could be stuff I want to do, things coming up in the week, etc. This gives me some peace of mind and helps me or

From Bipolar to Half Marathon

  As I reflect on this past month, I am proud of a few things.  I may have run a half marathon at a race yesterday, but that wasn’t my first half marathon in technicality. As some of you may have seen on my stories on Instagram a few weeks ago, I ran my first half marathon during my last long run with my friend, Barb.   The goal for that long run was to run 20k.   We decided to take our time and go at an easy pace. It was a good run. We pretty much did a loop of the north and south side of the city. During the run, we had some good conversations, and it was a run I didn’t listen to music at all. As we neared the end of the route, we looked at each other and said, “I bet we could go a bit further, and complete 21.1k.   At the 20k distance, I probably could have finished there as my hip was giving me issues, but I wanted to see us finish 21.1k together.   Sometimes you need those moments to push yourself and do something hard. Finishing the last long run with my friend was an amazi