Skip to main content

8 Tips for Mental Self-Care




Have you ever felt like your mind is going a mile a minute? Or do you get those scattered-brained moments? 

Being a mom of two, working part-time, and actively training for a half marathon I often find my mind is cluttered and constantly distracted. Did I pack my daughter's lunch for school? What time is that meeting at work? How long is that long run on Saturday? 

All of these kinds of questions are constantly running through my mind. But what should I do to settle my mind?  I've realized since my Bipolar diagnosis three years ago that I have a few tools which play a big part in calming my mind. Some of these tools might be beneficial for you too.

Brain Dump Page

The first tool I use is a brain dump page. This comes in a few forms for me.  Sometimes I use an app called Daylio. At the end of the day, I write out all the thoughts that are going through my head. That could be stuff I want to do, things coming up in the week, etc. This gives me some peace of mind and helps me organize my thoughts so I can rest easier.  

Throughout the day, I also take a piece of paper or a template like this one HERE. Then I can jot down some thoughts I have or things I need to do/want to do in the future. It helps to organize my thoughts as I go about the day, and reminds me of things I need to do.

Calendar

My husband is constantly teasing me for having so many calendars. I have one for our finances, one for fitness, and one for family stuff.  

If I am being honest, I have struggled with keeping a daily planner consistently. Even if the planner was one that I created or one that was created for me.  I often start tracking or recording things I need to remember, but then I fall out of the habit. What I have found that helps is having a visual, which is why I like having a few wall calendars to keep me on track.

The other calendar that I do use more consistently is the one on my phone. For the longest time, I would guess when I had appointments instead of writing them down.

 After years of this, I knew that I had to organize myself better. I began to use the built-in calendar on my phone to track appointments. I write everything in that calendar now. I even send alerts to myself to remind myself closer to the event. I might put something on the calendar, but half the time I still forget. 

Journal












Journaling has always been a big part of my life. I think it was the first thing I found as a good coping mechanism early in my diagnosis. It was a way of expressing myself, and expressing my feelings. For a while, I was journaling daily, and it really helped during some depressive periods. I often get busy with my life, and don't make daily journaling a priority. It is something I want to get back into, as I know it helps my emotional health. 

I have had an interest in journaling since I was about 9 years old. I still have journals from those days. I know that many entries make me ask, "Why did you write that?" As I mature I look back on these journals as signposts of my life. A lot of them are filled with memories of childhood, and a part of my history in a sense. 

Podcasts or Music

As someone who has a busy mind, I find that podcasts have helped me focus better. I started listening to them on my runs, and now they have become a big part of my life. I prefer listening to podcasts over music.

Listening to podcasts gives me the feeling that I have a friend talking with me while I run.I am also absorbing a mountain of information as I run, my favourite ones are running-related.  I also find podcasts are a way for me to unwind after a busy day. 

During long drives, I find that podcasts help break up the distance and help me keep my focus. 

I also dream of being a guest or starting my own podcast one day. I love to chat and would love to interview someone on a podcast one day. I feel that everybody has a story to tell, they just need someone receptive to hear it.

I also believe that music is another good way to calm your mind. You can easily listen to music on the go before you go to sleep, or even while you have a bath.

I have a Spotify playlist that I enjoy during my runs. It helps hype me up to finish those last few kilometres. 

I haven't been listening to music as much as I once did, but it is something that I want to explore more as I discover new music.

Bath


This one may come as second nature to most people, but for me, this is something that I have to force myself to do more often than not. Being a busy person I find that showers are easier and more convenient.

Since I started running I find that having a bath helps me relax and soothes aching muscles. I especially love having an Epsom salt bath, a nice cold Fresca, and watching my favorite show.

In those moments, I can feel myself becoming more relaxed. I do not worry about mundane tasks or responsibilities, and let my body and mind focus on resting. I should have baths more often, when I do I am always glad I took that time for myself. 

Running


Running is probably the first thing that I turn to when I need to calm my mind. When I have a lot on my mind it really helps to calm me, and lets me organize my thoughts. When I run I feel free and let go of all those worries that are plaguing my mind.

I know that my family notices how much running helps me when I am feeling stressed or overwhelmed. When my husband sees that I am having a stressful day, he suggests that I go for a short run.

Occasional drinking used to be my release when I was overwhelmed, but now I prefer running. I get to breathe in the fresh air, listen to a podcast and run out all that worry and pent-up stress.  


Healthy Eating


Healthy eating is something that I have struggled with for a number of years.I love my sweets and junk food. It is tasty don't get me wrong, but I have discovered everything is better in moderation.

One thing I have noticed since my Bipolar diagnosis is that when I am eating healthy, and cut back on some of my sugar intake, my thinking feels more clear.

I feel like too much sugar can bring me down, and contributes to the times I feel depressed. I believe that finding balance and moderation is key. It's all part of the journey.


Fresh Air or Activity



I know that I already included running, but I just wanted to emphasize the importance of fresh air or activity. I remember I did an experiment one time when I was depressed. I forced myself to run or go for a walk, no matter how I felt. In doing this, I actually felt a lot better.

I might not have felt 100% at that moment, but in the overall scheme of things, it was a beneficial experience. I was able to get outside to breathe fresh air and move, whether it was running or walking.

I often see questions in Bipolar groups about what to do when they are depressed. I tell them to get outside and walk or even just stand outside their door for a few minutes and take in the fresh air. Being outside does wonders for the mind and the body.

I also think back to when I was early diagnosed with Bipolar. My physiatrist told me to get outside and start walking. At the time I thought that he was the crazy one, and avoided it for a while. Once I started, even just a few blocks, I started to notice improvements in my mental health. I am thankful that my physiatrist gave me that advice, as it has had a huge impact on me. 

Mental self-care is important especially when you feel overwhelmed. This can be something as simple as stepping outside and breathing in the fresh air for a few minutes.

Comments

  1. Self-care is so essential for everyone. Life has so many twists and turns, hills and valleys that learning how to attend to yourself in those various moment is so essential. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are useful tips for taking care of ourselves. I like the brain dump idea. I think I have tried it, but it's not a common practice I use. Your advice is very valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips for fostering good mental health!
    -Morgan @mommyaboveall.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these suggestions! I never want to go for a walk but it helps every. Single. Time. Also - journaling was always hard for me as my thoughts moved quicker than I could write. I switched to creating voice memos and speaking my journal out loud. Life changing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

From Bipolar to Half Marathon

  As I reflect on this past month, I am proud of a few things.  I may have run a half marathon at a race yesterday, but that wasn’t my first half marathon in technicality. As some of you may have seen on my stories on Instagram a few weeks ago, I ran my first half marathon during my last long run with my friend, Barb.   The goal for that long run was to run 20k.   We decided to take our time and go at an easy pace. It was a good run. We pretty much did a loop of the north and south side of the city. During the run, we had some good conversations, and it was a run I didn’t listen to music at all. As we neared the end of the route, we looked at each other and said, “I bet we could go a bit further, and complete 21.1k.   At the 20k distance, I probably could have finished there as my hip was giving me issues, but I wanted to see us finish 21.1k together.   Sometimes you need those moments to push yourself and do something hard. Finishing the last long run with my friend was an amazi

Summer Training Begins

On Saturday, I did my longest post-half marathon run. I broke up my run a bit. I ran from my house to ParkRun, and then from ParkRun back home. That was a total of 15km.   It was threatening to rain but just ended up being humid. I really struggled in the heat a few times during my run. I think my body is still not used to the summer temperatures, as I did most of my training in the winter. After I ran the 15km I decided it was time to start training again for another half marathon. I'd told myself that I would start training again in mid-June but now felt like a better time to start. In September, I will be running the half marathon distance at the Lethbridge Police Run. Last year I did the 10km race at this event, and I wanted to bump it up to the half marathon this time.   I was hesitant to sign up for another half marathon this year. My original plan was to take it easy during the summer and train for 10km. I had already run two half marathons since I had run the eq